DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Doug McKean <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:59:40 -0800
Hope this isn't too far off topic.  Yes, to remove
registered programs, go into the the Control Panel's
Install/Uninstall utility.

I'm thinking that maybe there's an easier way to
fix this hang problem.  Could be scanned with
the ScanDisk utility.  A file might be corrupted.

There's also a built-in Microsoft system checker.

Open up My Computer > Help > Index

Do a search with the word "error".  I think a choice
of three subcategories comes up. Pick the one that
says "system".  Run that one.  But that's W98.

Don't ask me about W-NT.  I use W-NT here at work
and it doesn't have scandisk or defrag.

For the really adventurous:

a) Open up the bootlog file in the root directory with
   something like Notepad to see what has loaded and hasn't
   loaded.  If something hasn't loaded correctly, closing
   it could cause difficulties.  I have trouble decoding
   some of the lines.

Or,

b) Right at the start of BOOTUP, start hitting the
   F8 key (I could never figure out the right time
   to hit it).  You should get a bunch of options
   for bootup.  Pick the one that allows you to step
   through the complete bootup line by line.  Then,
   you can watch what does and does not load properly.

If you can figure out which program is giving trouble,
you only have to restore that one program instead of
reloading ALL of Windows.  Believe me, I've done that
one too many times.

I apologize if this is way off topic.
Just a few lessons I've learned the hard way.

Regards,  Doug ...