DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:43:21 -0500
Eileen,

No doubt about it - a Windows bug.  We have four Compaqs here and each
one shuts down differently.  Mine always hung with Win95 and I would
have to turn off the power switch and then of course the dreaded NDD
would launch when I powered up again.

I got so sick of this (and other hangups and crashed with Outlook
Express 5.0) that I took a chance when Paulo said that his upgrade to
Win98 worked to go ahead and do it.  It installed without 1 problem
AND now the machine shuts down correctly.

I do see some new bizzare behavior:

1.  the sleep mode is different.  The screen dims and the Panasonic
EO900 19" monitor (when I jiggle the mouse) slowly brightens up
instead of snapping on.

2.  all windows apps are a bit sluggish.  when I type sometimes the
computer acts like it's forgotten what to do and then it catches up.

On the plus side =  no more crashes in OE5.

You didn't say what OS you are running but I assume as you said you
upgraded from IE3 to IE4 you are in Win 95 so I would get Win98SE
(second edition) and see if that fixes this problem for you.

Best of luck,

Bob Landman
H&L