DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:02:22 +1000
From:
Phil Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Hello Jack,

Really depends on what drawing standard you are using.
You are probably drawing to an ANSI standard.
Just for interest, we work to the Australian Standard AS1102.

CR is for crystal rectifier (old term)
in our Australian standard, we use V. (probably from V for valve)

U was probably the next available letter (we use N for analogue (and A/D)
devices, D for digital)

K we use as well, possibly coil or contact?

You would use P for free (cable type) connectors. J for fixed connectors,
gender is irrelevant
(we use X for all connectors)

Submodules, we would use A.

I used to wonder why the letter 'I' was used for current until I found that
the french word for current started with 'I'.

I think that the main thing is to nominate what standard you are working to
on your drawings and work to it.

regards,
Phil.

At 10:22 10/01/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Something I overheard this morning got me wondering...
>
>Have any of you been around long enough to know why a diode would have a
>designator of CR? What does the CR mean?
>
>What does the U mean on an Integrated Circuit?
>
>Is the K on relays arbitrary since R is used by resistors?
>
>Does anyone really use P anymore for plugs?
>(everything I've seen lately is J on connectors, no matter if it is a socket
>or a plug)
>
>What do you use for submodules or subassemblies?
>
>Not really important, I was just curious....
>
>Jack

Phil Dutton C.I.D.
Senior CAD Technician
IPC Certified Interconnect Designer
Vision Abell Pty Ltd
Second Avenue, Technology Park,
Mawson Lakes.  SOUTH AUSTRALIA  5095
Phone :         (08) 8300 4400 (reception)
Fax :           (08) 8349 7420
email:          [log in to unmask]
Internet Page:  http://www.vsl.com.au