From:
"MARK DOWDING" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 02 Oct 96 08:30:10 PST
     IMO, once per day or even once per shift is not frequent enough.
     There are too many variables that affect exposure; hold times
     after lamination, artwork density, developer changes, just to
     name a few.  We take our steps on every job.

     We use a glass to glass printing system (Byers) and have also run
     into problems with step tabs.  Sometimes, depending on the
     thickness of the panel and proximity of board image to the panel
     edge, you just can't eliminate off contact.

     We trim our step tabs down to the smallest size possible, while
     keeping the desired exposure range intact (for example, 5 to 10.
     Our printing range is step 6 to 8).  This helps minimize off
     contact.  We sometimes use a "dummy" panel for steps; it is
     important however to have this panel coated at the same time as
     the production lot.  I would not recommend putting steps outside
     the glass.   There are several opinions about this, but I feel
     better having the step against the panel.  C A Picards glass is
     very optically clear; you would have to run tests to see if
     inside/outside affects the step.

     Mark Dowding
     Multek, Irvine.