From:
Paul Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:03:38 GMT
Hello Gary,

Thanks for the response. Just one quick point about edge plating. By partially
routing the  profile at the first drill stage, the panel is kept intact until
the final profile. The number of attachments between individual pwb's will
depend on board size, laminate thickness, and rigidity required for processing.
You could probably have up to 90% of the edge plated with the remainder being
taken care of with vias.

Another problem with vias for screening is that they sometimes escape the
standard spacing requirements for through holes and inner layer copper causing
violations of manufacturing rules for the fabricator. This may be because they
tend to be added after board design as an afterthought or to fix a problem.

In your message dated Thursday 24, October 1996 you wrote :
>      I agree, edge plating is electrically probably much better than vias
>      but I think boards would have to be singulated before plating.  If
>      your boards are going to be assembled as multi-up panels you will
>      probably be stuck with using vias.

Paul Gould
EMail [log in to unmask]