From:
"Gurian, Marshall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 96 10:03:50

     I have two guesses Re: fuming with high copper levels.

     Guess 1: ORP reading becomes less sensitive as copper levels get
     higher, requiring more Cu(I) to trip ORP adder point.  This may
     encourage a slow control response, allowing overdosing of oxidizer.

     Guess 2: Conductivity controllers are set up on a narrow response to
     conductance in a very specific mixture where the only significant
     variable is HCl.  High Cu may add to the conductivity and cause acid
     to fail to add.  This will definitely throw the system out of balance,
     either causing overadd of oxidizer (liberating gas when some HCl is
     added) or some other phenomenon.

     I may be able to be more complete with more detailed operation info.

        Marshall Gurian
        Coates ASI
        e-mail:  [log in to unmask]