TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 14:13:20 -0500 (CDT)
Andrea:

This question comes up from time to time. IPC has no standard for lead
pull strength, but did prepare a simple test method during one of its
round robin programs. The test isn't necessarily "standardized" because
it never went through the IPC document approval process, but I'd be happy to
forward it to you.

Basically, the test involves cutting the lead with a Dramel tool,
securing it, then yanking it. A simple, straight-forward test. However, the
problem is that there is no benchmark known to us regarding what a "good"
lead should be able to sustain.

Send an email to me direct (not to TechNet) if you'd like a copy.

Mike Buetow
IPC Staff
2215 Sanders Road
Northbrook, IL 60062