TECHNET Archives

January 2024

From:
"Decker, Scott S Collins" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Decker, Scott S Collins
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2024 14:25:51 +0000
   I'm reminded of a time at a Telecom company I worked at in the 80's which all the boards were through hole back then, and a system that was in the final testing stages before shipment. It was heading to Japan for one of the Telcos there and they were on site to supervise the testing. After all the signal tests and visuals were done and the system passed without a hitch, one of the inspectors from Japan pulled out a small rubber hammer like the ones the doctors use to check reflexes. He proceeded to tap on each of the cards in the system and watching for any issues that may show. As he tapped on one of the cards, the output readings bounced and failed and came back. As he tapped again, the same outcome occurred. We found out there was a bad solder joint on one of the filter coils and replaced the card. The system passed the "hammer" test and was shipped, but I've never seen another test like that since. Shock and Vib is common now days, but I guess this was that test on a system level, in 3 large 19" racks... Every time I see the doctor pull out that hammer now, I think about that test and wonder if I'll pass? :-/
   Then there was the Earthquake testing we did on a system for a California Telecom company. I've never seen  a 19" rack bend with 4" channel racks, but they do...
Happy Thursday!

Scott  Decker
Lead Tech, Engineering Services CID+

O: +1 319.263.8289
C: +1 480.438.4730
KE7MWT

Collins Aerospace | An RTX Business
Missions Systems
(GMT -7, MST)  Remote In Phoenix Arizona. U.S.A

https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fcollinsaerospace.com&c=E,1,Mls9f2EGZx6t4QEzzZYTJR99rie5Euf41EThoRMYswqfkhJVWTI5PMIRkvH8Fg_FicEAWU0qVCUrt-Y4QBxEfPyEbLa_FhxgTQNz_Oit7nisOmo-_j0NKBg,&typo=1 | LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | YouTube