From:
Jerry Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 08:34:54 -0700
Ellsworth,

We found during a recent BGA evaluation project that BGA placement with the
FIP2 is not possible from the Matrix Tray Unit (MTU) and Fuji does not
provide a solution.  You can dispense BGAs from tape and/or stick feeders.
However there is problem with placement accuracy since the machine is not
capable of viewing the bottom of the component in normal operation (binary
backlit vision) and must use the silhouette of the component for placement
alignment.

Fuji solved the problem with the FIP3, it has a restraining arm on the MTU
shuttle for BGA handling from the MTU.  It also uses gray scale front lit
vision which allows placement accurately from the bottom side (ball) view.

Jerry Hall
PCA Operations, FLUKE CORPORATION
direct:  206 356-5146  fax:  206 356-6315

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:30:29 -0700 ELLSWORTH BERKOWITZ wrote:

> From: ELLSWORTH BERKOWITZ <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:30:29 -0700
> Subject: BGA Pick & Place Using FUJI IP-2
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Does anyone have experience picking & placing BGA's, from matrix trays,
using the
> FUJI IP-2?  The equipment's stock shuttle system does not appear to be
capable of
> holding, via the shuttle's vacuum nozzle, the component from its underside.
 Any