From:
[log in to unmask] (ROGER HELD)
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 13:18:36 -0500
     Dirk,

     Funny you should ask.  There has been quite a bit of discussion on
     Technet before about this and very little commonality between
     companies.  At Hitachi, we have concentrated on humidity control for
     the most critical components (DRAM's, SRAM's, Controllers, Processors,
     ASIC's, etc...).  We generally try to insert them within 48 hours of
     opening the receiving package so we don't have to worry about moisture
     control.  If we need to store the parts longer than that, we have a
     controlled list of the parts which must be baked prior to assembly.
     We bake those parts (125C for 24 hours, including bare boards
     sometimes) to eliminate any absorbed moisture.

     Sometimes, we get special requirements from our contract customers to
     store parts in a dry environment.  For this purpose we keep dry boxes
     for a limited amount of storage place (not in the Vidmar equipment).
     We use dry nitrogen to keep them humidity free, but I see no reason
     why you couldn't use dry air with the same specs (might be cheaper).

     Regards,

     Roger Held
     Hitachi Computer Products (America), Inc.