TECHNET Archives

October 2001

From:
"Sauer, Steven T." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:15:39 -0400
Morning Steve,
Typically components are offered in different lead lengths to accomodate
differing board thicknesses and target lead protrusion ( flush to max
.060").  Like any other requirement in the standards (-001 & -610), the
approved assembly drawing takes precedence.  In your case, if minimal
electrical spacing at the board assembly and the NHA is not violated, then a
note on the board assembly drawing should be added as such, "maximum lead
protrusion shall be .100" for J1, U1, J3, etc."
As others have advised, there are cutting dies, jigs and fixtures
commercially available that will not degrade the component if performed
prior to component insertion, placement & soldering.
Hope this helps.

Steve Sauer
Mfg Engineer
Xetron Corporation