From:
"dmitchel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 96 07:38:20 PST

you don't have a problem with osp residues building up on test probes on the
top side?

Subject: Re: Exposed Copper on Assem
Author:  [log in to unmask] at corp
Date:    2/23/96 6:46 AM

                      RE>>Exposed Copper on Assemblies             2/23/96

We've been using OSPs on the vast majority of our boards for over two =
years with no problems.  As Dave Boggs mentions, there is a considerable =
amount of data "out there" to show that there are no additional problems =
with exposed copper.  I've actually seen some data that suggests that =
exposed copper is actually *more* reliable than exposed tin/lead under =
most typical operating conditions.

We did have 1-2 customers question the reliability of exposed copper, but =
we were able to successfully address these concerns.

Finally, we have not found the need to paste test points, fiducials, or =
vias.

Greg Bartlett
Mercury Computer Systems
Chelmsford, MA
--------

Many OEM users have demonstrated that exposed copper in the assembly
does not pose any reliability problems, in fact, this has been going on
for over 10 years (with OPSs).  Obtaining actual reliability data from
these OEMs is more difficult.

PCBs have been manufactured for years with electrolytic tin or gold as
the surface finish.  These boards contain a significant amount of
exposed copper along all traces, connectors, etc.  The difference is
the copper cannot be readliy seen as it is located on the sidewalls and
not the board surface.

I have several years of experience working with customers converting to
the OSP surface finish.  There are a number of things that can be done
to minimze the exposed copper, such as increasing the solder
paste stencil aperture to a 100% opening (most are about 80%), printing
paste on test points and vias as you suggested, minimizing through-hole
annular ring, etc.  I find most customers accept exposed copper as it
is not detrimental to the final product.  Of course, the product
application plays a role.

Working with the October Project, I've seen a couple of good articles
that may now be available through IPC.  One good paper was a study done
by Batelle Labs with Digital Equipment Corporation -- it basically
concluded that bare copper was more reliable than solder down to a four
mil line and space.

Dave Boggs
Merix Corporation
phone (503) 359-9300