TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
Rob Dabney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 09:46:39 -0700
Hello,

I work for the NASA Technology Transfer Center and I am currently
writting
a commercialization report on a new type of printed wiring board.  The
technology has previously been used in various avionics and aerospace
applications. We are now looking into the commercial potential for this
technology. Here are some of the benefits of a multilayered
Carbon-Carbon Constraining
Core Printed Wiring Board:

Benefits
- Light weight (50% lighter than C-I-C cored PWB)
- Inexpensive compared to other composite boards
- Higher structual stiffness
- Higher thermal conductivity
- Typically doubles component lifetime
- CTE will be in the 3 to 6 ppm/oC

The unique designed core enables this performance and uses thin plies of

low density, stiff, porous C-C. I am working on answering a few of these

questions and I was wondering if anyone can help me:

What markets have a need for this type of PWB? PC Boards? Automotive
Industry? Communications?

How much growth potential is there in these markets?

How does this compare to other technologies on the market?

How will Chip Scale Packaging, system-on-chip, chip-on-board, and ball
grid array technologies affect the printed wiring board industry?

Thank you for your time and please let me know if you are interested in
finding out more about this technology.

Sincerely,

Rob Dabney

Tech Programs Analyst