Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 23:35:25 -0400
Barry,
You need to give some more details if you are looking for an answer. If you
just want chatter I think you have succeeded.
1. What size hole in SMT lands are you using (PROCESS!!)?
2. What size is your standard via?
3. Does you EDA allow for multiple Via sizes?
4. If the via is completely inside of the SMT land than does it make a
difference whether or not the via is masked over (the land is always exposed
for solderability)
5. Whether or not your via size is small enough will determine if LPI will
give acceptable percentages of coverage (PROCESS!!).
6. Reflow or Wave (PROCESS!!)?
7. HASL, OSP or Gold as a finish (solderplate can fill vias good enough to
reflow with via in land sometimes)?
Discuss this with your vendors to find what will fit you and your processes.
If I, like it seems everyone else does, tell you what I do and expect it to
work for you than I am not helping you or your problem. If you need in-depth
solutions, you need to give in-depth desciptions of your problems. That said
I do use via in land for some wave applications and have seen via in land
used for reflow, both can be advantageous and tricky. My suggestion would be
to try to match to the best process for you by using some experiments. Try a
test board using multiple via sizes and you mind find the perfect combination
for your process.