TECHNET Archives

November 2020

From:
"Decker, Scott Collins" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Decker, Scott Collins
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 2020 22:34:46 +0000
Hi James,

  I don't know of, (OK, I don't remember which) the IPC spec, although I'll bet there is several documents that cover this, but long story short. The use of I, O, Q, S, V, and Z, (I may have missed one or two) or rather the lack of their use is to prevent misinterpretation of the letters to numbers, etc. An "I" could be seen as "1", "O" the letter as "0" zero the number, S for 5, V for U, Q for O, S for 5, and Z for 2. I think you can get the jest of that. I'm not a historian on this, but back in the day, both copy/blueprint machines and silkscreen on PCB assemblies didn't create such perfect text as they are today, (OK they are MUCH better for sure) and thus, skipping letters listed, was a safe way to ensure the correct character(s) was/were read and understood. I believe there are ANSI drawing documents that also call out this list and perhaps other things, but I'm hoping this answers your question or at least helps. If your tools are helping you out by not allowing the use of these letters and such, let them help you, it's better than making an error and having to fix it later... :-) Stay safe and healthy!

Later...

Scott Decker | Senior Engineer, PCB Design Services CID+ | Electronic Systems Center

COLLINS AEROSPACE

3445 S. 5th Street, Suite 170, Phoenix, AZ 85040 U.S.A.

Tel: 602 308 5957  FAX: 602 243 2347

[log in to unmask]  www.collinsaerospace.com [collinsaerospace.com]

KE7MWT

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This message may contain proprietary and/or privileged information of

Collins Aerospace Systems and its affiliated companies. If you are not the intended recipient please 1) do not disclose, copy,

distribute or use this message or its contents, 2) advise the sender by return e-mail, and 3) delete all copies (including all

attachments) from your computer. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.