TECHNET Archives

June 2020

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 2020 10:42:06 -0600
Hi All,

I just ran across a new part that I've never seen before from Microsemi,
it's part number VSC8522XJQ-02. Microsemi calls it a TQFP package, but's
not like any TQFP package I've seen. Well, actually I've seen something
almost like it from quite a while ago from LSI Logic I think it was, they
called a "Fusion" package. It had dual rows of leads like this does, one
set on the outer perimeter, and another set inside around the middle of the
body like this one does. But this one has a thermal pad like a QFN and the
two sets of leads are on different pitches, and different types. The
perimeter leads are gull wing, and the inner pattern pads ar like rounded
rectangle BGA pads.

I remember that the fusion part took me three versions of stencils to get
the part to solder right even when the manufacturers recommendations were
first followed. I'm hoping I don't have to go through that drill again with
this part. I'm hoping that someone out there in "Technet Land" has used
this part before and can set this old fart's mind at ease...

TIA,

Steve

--
Steve Gregory