TECHNET Archives

July 2008

From:
Kathy Kuhlow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:07:25 -0500
I was just reading and got to thinking about PCB inner layer shifting. Now I
realize that this can be caused by registration issues but here are the
questions I can't readily answer:

1) Is it possible to cause inner layer shifting on only signal layers during
the assembly operations or will this be seen in the PCB fabrication testing?

2) Can inner layers that create opens or shorts be latent or would the
effect be seen immediately?
3) Would inner layers that do shift all shift the same way? In other words
would I get the same opens/shorts? What would be the proportion of possible
affected if not all?
4) Would the PCB stresses caused by lamination not be released prior to the
PCB test or is there enough residual stress still in the PCB at time of
assembly to cause an issue?
5) How would you know if you have inner layer shifting?

I was just reading about etch back and some the test data related with the
process, is this part of the driver to develop this process?

Kathy Kuhlow
6980 Professional Parkway East
Sarasota, FL 34240
Phone: 941-907-1000 ext 8248