Date:
Thu, 04 Apr 96 10:09:51 EST
     I would like to add a few general comments.  I have been involved with
     electroless copper for a number of years, using most of the methods
     available for measurement.  SPC of the thickness is frustrating to say
     the least.  The process is so dynamic & also relies on more than just
     the copper bath to influence the thickness (although many of these
     variables have only nuance effects).

     The measurements vary so much that my real bottom line is:
     "I want to know if the bath/line has so much variation from one load
     to the next that something has just had a major screwup."

     That is, I am looking for those wide swings in thickness from one rack
     to another that indicate REAL problems (variation of 30-40 millionths
     or more).  i.e. Did a replenishment pump die since the last load was
     processed?  Did someone bump a calibration knob on one of the pumps?
     Was the wrong add made?  etc.

     These are the things that you are REALLY interested in.  The thickness
     of the Dep copper within 10 or 15 millionths of the target isn't
     really going to make much difference to your processing unless you are
     already on the verge of etching it out of the holes in your plating
     line, creating PTH voids.

     Matt Byrne
     Hadco, Owego