Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 19:38:10 -0500
MIke, Why not attend the IPC LI chapter on March 12. It will probably be held
at Mteq which is close to you.If you would like to attend send me an E-Mail
message and I will notify you of the details. Now, to answer your question.
The pads on surface mount caps and resistors are narrower tha the width
because the solder fillet is supposed to hold these parts from the end, not
the sides. Theroetically, the pads should extend approx 1/2 the height from
the edge of the part, forming a 45 degree fillet of solder. We size the width
of our pads at the maximum part width to make layout easier. If you need the
room for routes you can play with the width of your pads. This should have no
effect on your soldering. I hope I've answered your question. By the way, say
hello to FOP and Ron Wolley for me. Regards, John Iaria