Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 1996 00:26:03 -0400 (EDT)
Is it possible that you have an intermettalic growth on the end of the fine
pitch SMD pad? Is it possible that these boards have backprint (aka legend,
marking matrix, etc.)? If so, it may be a phenomenon of the baking after
HASL (assuming your supplier applies after solder mask). In my experience,
in fine pitch SMD applications with backprint, the registration of the ink
is super critical. This results in a lot of setup and perhaps misprints
requiring rework (this could also be a cause of this problem), forcing the
supplier to apply backprint after HASL to minimize ink on copper problems.
The additional thermal abuse that the SMD pads experience in order to cure
the ink applied can cause intermettalic growth. This would explain the
observances listed in your message. This intermettalic is explained by the
natural thin solder deposit resulting in the "leading edge" of the pad in
the HASL air knives. If so, the problem would be more pronounced on the
opposite ends of the SMD quad device pads, visually I would expect to see
this problem on the outside of one end of the fine pitch pads, while on the
inside end of the opposite pads of the same orientation (or vice versa). You
would not be able to see the inside problem due to the device itself. I
would also expect to see very little problem, if at all, on the other pads
that are perpendicular to the  pads exhibitig the problem.

I am curious to see if this makes sense.

Dave Rooke