TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
Jack Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 11:00:26 -0500
Following from the EMPF Helpline in Indianapolis, prepared by Pat Kane:

I would recommend the conservative approach to establish a process with the
most repeatability and one that provides good quality joints.  To do this I
would start with the bottom side having paste printed and placing glue dots
- reflow (which also cures glue dot) -  then process topside sm and insert
through hole components then wave.  Yes this is redundant soldering for the
bottom components but you insure good coverage this way. Orientation
through the wave may improve or decrease the solder coverage so try
different orientations also.  Once you have established the wave parameters
(orientation, speed, flux coverage, etc.) then try some small lot sample
with glue dots only on the bottom (use a curing profile not a reflow
profile in the oven) and process the top as before.  When these samples are
waved, inspect carefully for  coverage on all components.  Wave parameters
such as speed and orientation can come into play here so try different
settings. If the board is dense or the layout configuration of the parts
induces "shadowing" during wave you will have skips.  This is where you
will decide which process works best for your layout.  Hope this helps.
>----------
>>From: [log in to unmask]
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>Date:  5 Jun 97 15:19:04 EDT
>>Subject: Wave Solder Approach - a SURVEY
>>
>>Hi Technetters,
>>
>>Given design:  2 sided mixed SMT/Thru-hole board.  Top is all SMT.

snip

***ALL NEW EMPF PHONE NUMBERS***

Jack Crawford, HelpLine Coordinator
Electronics Mfg. Productivity Facility