From:
"Crawford, John A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 96 09:53:00 EST

>From the EMPF HelpLine, prepared by John Guy:
"We at the EMPF have done some work with the manufacturing of surface
mount assemblies using conductive epoxies.  I would be more than happy to
talk to you about our work and the results we saw.  You can contact me at:
Phone: 317 226-5630
FAX: 317 226-5615
        In short, we saw that the conductive adhesives we looked at did very
well with the chip caps, and we were using components with a tin/lead
surface
finish.  I'm sure you would be better off with the gold finish, unless that
finish is too smooth.  The adhesives will hold better to a rough, clean
surface.  If you can make yourself think in terms of bonding metals with
adhesives, instead of soldering them, you will be much better off in the
long
run.
 ----------
From: TechNet-request
To: technet; msampson
Subject: Conductive Epoxy w/ Solder Term. Chip Caps
Date:  21 Feb 96 10:16AM

From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 96 10:16:24 EST
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
 --
     We are looking for information from anyone with experience using
     silver loaded conductive epoxy to mount solder terminated chip

     We are having difficulty obtaining chip caps of the quality level we
     want with gold terminations.  These chips caps will be mounted in a
     hybrid which is intended for space flight use.  The hybrid
     manufacturer intends to silver epoxy mount these parts and we are not
     sure what our best option is.

     Any information you may have is greatly appreciated.

     Sincerely,

     Jay Brusse
     Unisys Corporation at NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center