TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
Doug Alcoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 97 23:08:40 CST
In a previous lifetime, we were doing some sequentialy laminated
panels with blind vias.  The holes were drilled .015"
and the outer core was .005" h/h.  After plating, but before
black oxide, we found the best method to plug the vias, was
to single side screen print resist on the "inside" side of the
panel with a dot pattern about double the dia of the hole. This
packed ink into the via holes and left a retaining pad on the
"inside" side of the panel.  We used clear photoimagable soldermask
(Enthone DSR-3241-clear).  The clear ink allowed the UV to go
very deep.  Tak dry, and expose from the "inside" side of the
finished panel only.  That way you don't get any cured on the
"outside" side of the panel.  Develop, cure-bake, Black oxide,
layup, press, trim-edge, strip the black oxide, touch-up.
After a little "learning curve" at the black oxide microetch
you should get zero leaking plugs, but if you do have any leakers,
they can easly be seen (clear resist over black oxide).  A rotery
drafting eraser does wonders for touchups.  I don't remember which
eraser compound worked best. We tried plasma, but the cycle
time was longer, and more $$$ than the eraser trick.

	BTW, The solder resist takes Electroless very nicly, so
you end up with no dishdown, and the via hole plug plates up
and "disapears" after outerlayer processing.

Good luck..., and feel free to email me direct if you have
any questions.
                               Doug Alcoe