TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 15:40:08 -0500
Matt, If I understand your question correctly, the answer is quite elementary.  Generally, a four layer board has circuitry on the two outerlayers and the internal cores are a power plane and a ground plane.  To pass a conductor from the top to the bottom, the internal layers have a clearance etched in the copper larger than the
hole that is going through.  When you laminate the layers together the clearance area fills in with epoxy.

At locations where you want a conductor to connect to the ground plane (or power plane) there is no clearance on the plane.

You can subscribe to the IPC technet by sending mail to the same address you sent your question to with the word subscribe in the subject field and no text in the body.  I doubt you want an average twenty five or thirty messages per day from people who build or use boards listing all their travails.