From:
"Barthel, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 08 Jan 96 10:18:00 CST

An important part of surface mount assembly process control is making sure
the proper amount of solder paste is deposited on the pads.  The amount
deposited varies due to many factors.  A few of these issues are: The PCB,
the printing parameters, and the paste characteristics.  Also, the amount of
paste required to make a solder joint which meets ANSI/J-STD-001 varies from
pad to pad because of many other issues like: lead coplanarity, amount of
solder on the pad from HASL, placement accuracy, reflow
conditions,...........

I am interested in whether there is an industry standard or how others have
calculated the minimum and maximum volumes of paste required.  I would
appreciate any comments on this subject.

Bill Barthel
Electronic Assembly Corporation
(414) 751-3651