TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
"Lolmaugh, Scott (AZ15)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
11 Jun 1997 09:48:42 -0500
All,
Beware plugging vias that have solder inside them.  No matter how good the
plugging and overlying soldermask job, during reflow the underlying solder
will expand as it heats.  When the solder hits liquidous, the pressurized
fluid can force a jet of molten solder through any point of  thin coverage
due to misregistration or pinholes, leaving either solder balls or solder
strings .  I have seen microscopic "wires" of solder that have been extruded
through pinholes as the pressure of the molten solder forces it out.  These
strings can be longer than 0.100" and are virtually invisible to the naked
eye.  If you must plug vias, do it in direct contact with the base metal.