Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 96 15:11:27 PST
     Chris-

     Sonoscan is known for its acoustic microscopy imaging systems, which
     are useful for examining plastic encapsulated semiconductor packages
     for voids, delamination, etc., due to "popcorning" damage, die bond
     failures, etc.

     Per NEPCON West '96 Buyers Guide:

     Sonoscan, Inc.
     530 East Green Street
     Bensenville, IL 60106
     708-766-7088

     I have a paper which describes the principle of operation and the
     application of Sonoscan "C-SAM" equipment, "An Evaluation of Acoustic
     Microscopy (for nondestructive inspection of PEMs, MCMs, etc.)", by
     Allen Hawes of the Naval Surface Warfare Center at Crane, presented at
     the 1995 Advanced Technology, Acquisition, Qualification, and
     Reliability Workshop here in Southern California last August. Contact
     me if you want a copy faxed to you.

     Also, the cover story on SMT Magazine, May 1995, discusses SAM in the
     assessment of popcorning on plastic QFP.

     Regards,

     Michael S. Alderete
     Sr. R & D Engineer
     Lockheed Martin (formerly Loral), Aeronutronic Division
     29947 Avenida De Las Banderas
     Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688

     (714)459-3190FAX

     email: [log in to unmask]