TECHNET Archives

April 2006

From:
Leo Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Leo Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:16:18 -0700
I second Dewey's statement.  I also used in my earlier years before we took
MSDS's too seriously and we all thought we were bulletproof.  I remember
when holding my breath was a 'safe' practice for removing hydraulic fluid
from my skin with trichloroethylene.  THF is really bad stuff.  Below are
some excerpts from the JT Baker web site MSDS for THF.

IC companies have been asking about the extended list hazardous substances,
beyond the "RoHS 6", so I have had to look into a lot of nasty chemicals
recently, particularly the "Dirty Dozen" Persistent Organic Pollutants
(POPs) listed in the Stockholm Convention.

Furans (dibenzofuran - also known as Diphenylene Oxide, and
chlorodibenzofuran are on the  Dirty Dozen list of most toxic POPs.  I know
THF is a totally different compound, but it does contain the word 'Furan' in
the name, and THF is also known as Diethylene Oxide, and for a non-organic
chemist, this is close enough to "diphenylene oxide", AKA dibenzofuran, for
me to want to avoid THF.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/t1222.htm

1. Product Identification
Synonyms: Diethylene oxide, oxacyclopentane; THF; tetrahydrofuran and
stabilizer; 1,4-Epoxybutane; Butylene Oxide; Cyclotetramethylene Oxide;
Furan, tetrahydro
CAS No.: 109-99-9
Molecular Weight: 72.11
Chemical Formula: CH2CH2CH2CH2O
Product Codes:
J.T. Baker: 9439, 9440, 9441, 9442, 9446, 9447, 9449, 9450, V530
Mallinckrodt: 2858, 8497, 8498, 8499, V558

Emergency Overview
--------------------------
DANGER! EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE LIQUID AND VAPOR. VAPOR MAY CAUSE FLASH FIRE.
MAY FORM EXPLOSIVE PEROXIDES. HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED OR INHALED. CAUSES
IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. AFFECTS CENTRAL NERVOUS
SYSTEM.

Carcinogenicity:
Under the National Toxcology Program (NTP), the U.S. Public Health Service
completed a 2-year (lifetime) inhalation study in rats and mice on
Tetrahydrofuran (THF) which suggests that THF is a carcinogen in laboratory
animals. There is no data linking THF exposure to cancer in humans. The data
shows carcinogenic activity in the liver and kidneys of laboratory animals.

Potential Health Effects
----------------------------------

Inhalation:
Causes irritation to the respiratory tract. Symptoms may include coughing,
shortness of breath. THF is an anesthetic agent in high concentrations.
Overexposure may cause dizziness, headache, nausea and possible fluid in the
lungs. May cause liver, kidney or lung injury.
Ingestion:
Causes irritation to the gastrointestinal tract. Symptoms may include
nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause sore throat and abdominal pain. May
cause liver or kidney injury.
Skin Contact:
Causes irritation to skin. Symptoms include redness, itching, and pain.
Eye Contact:
Causes irritation, redness, and pain. Contact may cause permanent eye
damage.
Chronic Exposure:
Repeated or high exposures may cause kidney or liver damage; may affect the
lungs. Repeated skin exposure can cause dryness, cracking of skin and rash.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Persons with pre-existing skin disorders or eye problems or impaired liver
or kidney function may be more susceptible to the effects of the substance.

Best regards,
Leo

Leo M. Higgins III, Ph.D.
Vice President, Technical Support Operations
ASAT, Inc.
3755 Capital of Texas Highway, Suite 100
Austin, Texas     78704

office phone   512-383-4593
mobile           512-423-2002
www.asat.com

The information contained in this electronic message is CUSTOMER/SUPPLIER
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the
distribution and copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the
sender by electronic mail. Thank you.