From:
JIM ENNIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 96 09:35:00 PDT

We are having a significant problem with quickturn cards coming in
overetched, and we're trying to understand some things about the process of
etching.
     One question that has come up is:  Is it possible for etching to be
greater in one area of the card over another? If so, how is this possible,
and what are the design considerations for this?
     Some here contend that every feature should etch down by the same
nominal amount, say .002 inch, whether the feature is an .008 trace or a
large ground plane, since the whole PCB is exposed to etchant at the same
time.  Is there fault in this thinking?
     Thanks in advance.

Jim Ennis
Adtran Inc