TECHNET Archives

May 2003

From:
David Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 18:44:41 -0400
Joyce

For proper operation, the ESD protective smock must be laundered
periodically. Your smock supplier will make recommendations on cleaning.
Points are:

* Launder the smock in cool or warm water, tumble dry with low heat or hang
dry.

* Use only non-ionic softeners and detergents when laundering. Liquid
detergents are better than dry, because they cake less and cause less
frictional wear.

* Do not use bleach.

* If you use home machines, run additional rinse cycles.

* Use a "pony" (under 200 pound capacity) industrial machines.

* Don't use heavy industrial laundry machines, because they beat and wear
out the fabric too much.

* Keep laundering heat below 120°F, because the carbon-suffused
mono-filament nylon is sensitive to heat. [We prefer no machine / air
drying, but that's too expensive and cumbersome.]

* Don't ask employees to launder their smocks, especially if you have guys
working for you.  [Asking someone who doesn't wash his hands in the rest
room to wash his little blue smocky-walky is an enterprise fraught with
danger.]

All ESD smocks lose ESD properties after many launderings and can be used
unknowingly.  And even though some smock suppliers offer warranties as long
as two years or seventy-five launderings, ESD garments will eventually wear
out. So, include periodic checks in your compliance verification plans to
help determine when smocks should be replaced.

ESD TR 20.20 Handbook, Paragraph 5.3.13.3.1.8 [do those very nice ESD people
have enough subparagraphs, er what?] Periodic Testing states words to the
effect, "To maintain process control, it is imperative that the garment be
tested per ESD STM 2.1. The point-to-point and sleeve-to-sleeve resistance
test should be made."

ESD STM 2.1 is a point-to-point and sleeve-to-sleeve resistance test
("recommended electrical resistance range is 1 x 10^5 ohms to 1 x 10^11
 ohms").

* Point-to-point resistance test: We do not do ASTM D257 Surface
Receptivity.  It is too tricky.  [See linked ESD Magazine article] We do a
surface-to-surface test with two 5-lb. probes and a megohm meter
[electrometer] [as you monitor the resistance of your flooring]. With this
test, the resistance can be checked across seams or from point-to-point on
the same section of the garment.

* Sleeve-to-sleeve resistance test: We use a megohm meter [electrometer],
hang the garment on a wooden hanger to isolate it in air, and attach "jumper
cable clips" [that have a wide contact area] to each sleeve.

For more on smock qualification and on-going testing:

* Look here: http://www.esdmagazine.com/eosesd/smocks/smocks.htm

* ESD Program Management: A Realistic Approach to Continuous Measurable
Improvement in Static Control; Theodore Danglemayer; Kluwer Academic
Publishers; ISBN: 0412097818; 2002 [Klein-Wassink of ESD Programs]

 Dave Fish