From:
"Ralph Hersey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
7 May 1996 10:33:20 -0700
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               FWD>RE>ADMIN: Sales postings / Advertisements

Hi all

I agree with the postings on this subject.

It is a double-edged sword, many may find it offensive and it could be a
lifesaver for someone on technet to use.

Food for thought.

IMO, Perhaps we need a "message" to be sent by forum members to people who
abuse the forum with sales stuff to the offender.  This could do two things.

First the message would inform the person that blatent sales stuff is not the
purpose of the technet,  it is not acceptable, and will not accepted or
tolerated.

Secondly, it will inform the person the way to communicate recently available
good technical stuff that may be of use to a member(s) of technet.  Then go on
to explain a short generic description with a couple of examples:  Such as (in
this case), "A software conversion tool has been developed to convert
'ABCDEFG' formatted files to 'WXYZ' acceptable formatted files', contact
'whomever' for additional information."  Or "A new process/tool/chemical is
available to do 'whatever', contact 'whomever' for additional information.

IMO, if somebody got 8+ messages about offending network members, I assume
they'd get the message.  (But then some sales people are thick skinned (or
headed?) (;-)

But even the above "food for thought" is a double-edged sword, because the
technet could get plugged-up with "more-or-less acceptable" sales pitches.  I
guess there's no free lunch.

Ralph Hersey
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]