Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 96 11:34:29 EST

        Mark,

                I'm curious on this subject. I've never used those "odd
        ball" glass fabric styles you've listed. I've stayed away from
        them for another reason. I know that cost is driving more single
        ply usage and that they had to bring in more selections to cover
        thickness' that we weren't able to achieve in the past. The
        possibility of inherent mechanical stress from single ply glass
        styles is highly possible. Two ply construction could provide
        an interface that allows more shear movement between the ply's
        providing a less stress cured substrate. Think about it.
                <One of Dave's <stupid> simple analogies> When ever I go
        backpacking I have to wear two pairs of socks. First I put on a
        thin one, then a thick one. All the walking I do puts all the
        friction wear between the two socks. (and not on my feet) The two
        ply issue may be similar. When we (Fabricators) process innerlayers
        and laminate into MLB PCB's, we experience layer/material movement.
        (Most of the time shrinkage caused by the fiberglass trying to
        stress relieve everytime the material sees Tg)
        The two ply issue may be similar. Single Ply usage is still in it's
        infancy. ~3 - 4 yrs old for production.
        <I dunno...makes sense to me>

        Keep me posted. If there's anything I can help you with, feel free
        to call me or email direct.

        Dave Hoover
        (408) 728-6677