From:
"Luis Rivera" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 17:48:45 +600 CDT

I agree with John's responses to Roger shown below and would like to
add the following comments.

It is worth mentioning that the following thoughts only apply to
thermoset resin systems, of which epoxy is one among others. Once a
thermoset resin cures, it does not flow anymore, it will soften and
expand rapidly if heated above it glass transition temperature, but
it will not flow and is locked in place.

In summary, it's been my experience that baking prior to assembly is
done to remove moisture from around the areas where soldering,
and thus its related thermal expansion, is going to take place.

Bow and twist or warpage is caused by uneven stresses built
into the circuit board during the lamination process.

The uneven stresses are caused by various factors, some of which are:

1) How well balanced is the construction of the base material (on
   double sided) and laminated fabrication panels (resin, glass
   and/or copper circuitry symmetry from the center plane).

2) For multilayers: the rate of heatrise and cooldown at lamination
   and how well are the lamination plates and presses are maintained.

There is a possibility that boards that are received flat, and that
warp during reflow may have been warped and reworked by heating them
between heavy metal plates. This kind of rework temporarily hides the
warped and unevenly stressed nature of the PCBs, but as soon as the
printed circuits are heated up they go back to their less stressed
state.

Luis Rivera
CompuRoute, Inc.
Dallas, TX