TECHNET Archives

December 2008

From:
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:22:49 -0600
Also, I would actually measure and verify the thickness of the 5 mil
stencil if the process is that critical. The typical range is 5.5-5.6
just as Andy stated, but oftentimes I have seen stencils have specific
areas as low as 3.5 mils while the other areas were 5 or 5.3 mils, which
is worse in my opinion, as it will skew your Cpk well to the left.
No, banish that idea that just popped up in your head of adding Kapton
to the thin areas of the foil, as the kapton tape simply prevents full
gasketing of the stencil to the board and causes excess paste, squeezout
and smears in the apertures immediately around where it is applied.
It is better to insist that the stencil be correct and get a new one if
necessary, rather than attempt to "fix" oversize or undesired apertures
with tape.
However, what does work is to wash the stencil very clean and wipe with
IPA. Then place the stencil on a very flat surface with Kapton tape on
the bottom side of all unwanted apertures, carefully fill the unwanted
apertures with Loctite 3621, apply Kapton tape over the top side to trap
the epoxy, and cure in an oven. Then when you peel away the tape the
unwanted apertures are plugged, flat, and the Loctite sticks like crazy.
Caveat #1; it is very difficult to remove the Loctite completely should
you ever want those apertures back. Caveat #2, on some stencils the
bonding epoxy around the foil perimeter can be affected by the curing
temperature of 150 C for 10 minutes normally used for Loctite 3621. You
may wish to cure at 120 C for 15-20 minutes and keep a close eye on it,
which I have found works better.

Don't attempt to use a heat gun or any other concentration of heat in
one spot on the stencil to cure the epoxy, or it will warp and you will
end up with Sick Sigma printing results.