From:
"Richard E Ackerson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 96 9:20:12 EST
I am looking for information regarding the way various designers specify
copper thickness for boards, and how this information is translated by the
manufacturers. IPC-D-325A and IPC-D-275 are not clear on how this information
is to be stated or translated.

We have always indicated the copper weight as the starting weight, ie. 2oz,
1oz, 1/2oz, etc.. Some manufacturers translate this designation as finished
weight. They will start with a lighter copper and plate up to a finished
dimension, (start with 1oz, plate up to 2oz).

Tolerances are not stated in the IPC documents. IPC-RB-276 indicates that, in
the case of 2oz copper, the finished surface thickness should be .003".

What is the general direction of the industry? As indicated above, I have had
manufacturers indicate both ways.

Rich Ackerson
Sr. Industrial Engineer
Elsag Bailey Electronics