TECHNET Archives

March 2006

From:
Dale Ritzen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dale Ritzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:07:22 -0600
John,
When we run into this problem, and we don't have time for the supplier to
re-make the boards, we use Kapton tape across the deep v cuts and board
"stiffeners", i.e. "U"-shaped metal strips that are placed on the leading
edge of the panel as it travels through the wave. Normally this provides
enough stiffness to allow you to run with some success across the wave.
However, you will still get some sagging due to gravity (and the number of
heavy parts on the boards). You may have to play with the wave height to get
your best result. Rest assured that you will still have rework since the sag
may cause insufficient soldering toward the outer edges of each panel if you
adjust the wave peak for it.

Good luck! Best solution is for a re-make of the boards...
Dale Ritzen
Quality Manager
Austin Manufacturing Services