TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 16:13:09 +0300
MoonMan

I have a broad shoulder to cry upon. However, I suggest, from personal
experience, that the most successful assemblers are those who get on
with doing a damn good job, working towards perfecting their facilities
and not sitting down, reading specs and test methods or sending endless
e-mails to forums such as this (those who really wish to know something,
scan the archives first, as their question has surely been asked
before). If they do any reading, it may be the odd technical paper or
book that they may take to bed with them in lieu of Agatha Christie.
They absorb technical knowledge in free exchanges with their peers, of
course, but 95% of what they know is from downright "hands-on"
experience which can only be gained by getting those same hands dirty.
Handling paper will never get your hands so dirty. I know some very
successful assembly houses in both developed and developing nations. The
common factor is the tech manager striving for as near-perfection as
possible -- and finding it. In some cases, they cannot even read a
single word in English (and nearly everything about out industry is
published only in that language), let alone know what ISO 9000 or 14000
means. They are ABOVE such bureaucratic formalities: their product cries
out quality, not a piece of paper stuck in a frame on the wall.

OK, it sounds like I'm being deadly iconoclastic, but there are three
ways for good, small, companies to be forced to put their key under the
doormat:
1. move to larger premises without contingency planning
2. become bureaucratically minded by a slavish adherence to standards,
more than sound commonsense
3. become too big for their boots by pretending they can do things which
they don't know how to.

I've seen it happen, all too often, but the companies that survive are
the pragmatists. Even large companies who are teetering or have
teetered, including Enron, may fit into either category 2. or 3. above
(or both).

Just some thoughts from 50 years of professional involvement in our
industry and lots of observation. The biggest advice I have is, when the
revenue is down, then is the time to invest in new plant and processes.
If you wait until you can no longer cope before deciding to invest, your
new plant will come on line successfully only when the next downturn is
starting, because you never had time to get your hands dirty in
perfecting its use. Then it sits idle. What a waste!

We don't have bears in this country (except on the Stock Exchange), so
our caves are habitable all year round. But I like to think we have our
feet on the ground, rather than our heads in a surrealistic cloud up in
the ozone layer.

Brian