From:
[log in to unmask] (Brookhaven National Laboratory)
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 96 11:16:49 EST

--- Begin Included Message ---

MARCH NEWSLETTER

LONG ISLAND CHAPTER OF THE IPC DESIGNERS COUNCIL

Our Chapter is entering a new year. We plan to continue sharing ideas and knowledge regarding current design issues. In 1995 we had 3 excellent meetings. We learned about the purpose of IPC  membership at a Designers level and conducted workshops on CAD software, multilayer design for manufacturing, and rigid-flex manufacturing. It was inspiring to see people devote their own personal time in order to learn and keep up to date in this fast moving industry. Many of us feel that an association such as the IPC Designer Council is more responsive to our needs since it specializes in specific topics. Our goal for this year will be to set up agendas which will devote attention to the subjects our membership suggests. We always welcome your input and participation.

Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, March 12th. at Miteq Corporation. In a separate letter from our Secretary, Mary Sackett, she made an appeal to begin registration for membership along with our dues structure at this time. Dues will be $25.00 per year until March 15th. After the 15th., the IPC is making some changes in order to increase our benefits. Along with the changes which we will explain at the meeting, the dues will increase to $50.00 per year. Therefore, if you arrange payment before March 15th. you will save $25.00.

Although we would like people to join our membership and pay their share, we will continue to welcome anyone interested as a free guest. We would also like to broaden our Executive core group which guides the workings of our organization. We have an open invitation to any members who wish to see what we do and possibly provide assistance.

 For additional information contact:

Ron Ryan, Brookhaven National Laboratory  (516) 344-6068    e-mail [log in to unmask]

Surface Mount Land Pattern Design

In the coming years, electronic packaging will  look entirely different from what we recognize today. Parts are getting smaller and technologies are becoming more advanced. It is probably safe to say, conventional schools and colleges will not be able to provide curriculums that are  responsive to what it takes to design and build the products of the future. We need to be aware of what's going on as it is happening. To meet the industry needs for qualified technical personnel, we all must consider supplementing our experience with specialized training and new types of educational programs. On March 12th. we plan to conduct a round table discussion centered around surface mount land patterns. We prepared a program which will allow everyone attending  to join in. We will also have samples and photographs.

Please feel free to bring your questions  to the table. We are sure, collectively someone in our group may have a solution or insight to your problems, situations, or goals.

Meeting Date
March 12, 1996
6 PM
Miteq Corporation