TECHNET Archives

April 2019

From:
"Decker, Scott Collins" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Decker, Scott Collins
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2019 15:36:03 +0000
Nigel,

    I'm glad you chimed in on this from "the other side of the pond".  :-)  It give another perspective for sure. As far as the ODB++ Viewer goes, you should work to get better at it not because you would switch over to ODB++, but for the learning side of it. We use to use GC-Preview until they starting charging for it and I would have been more than happy to get that funded since it is such an easy tool to use, but we had GerbTool at the company and it would have been a harder sell for GC-Preview. That said, I never cared for GT but after working with it, I find it pretty easy to use and I'll admit, there are some real pain in the shorts things about it I wish they would change, but I've gotten used to it now and it's OK. (In my opinion, there is a ton more setup to do, but...)

    Now on a side note to this discussion, I'd like to add that I'm glad to see others using a 3rd party tool to view their output, be it GERBER, ODB++, or IPC-2581, if you can. This ensures you are sending good data to the vendor and not at least doing a sanity check that the data was good or at least looks like the board you created... I learned that long ago when a vendor's tool would show you one thing and plot another... Trust, but verify... :-)

I have a saying I like to use for things like that. When the farmer asked the fox how many chickens were in the hen house, the fox replies, 12, just 12, not the 14 you thought" as he spits out some feathers from the side of his mouth.  Have a great Day!

Later...

Scott Decker | Senior Engineer, PCB Design Services CID+ | Electronic Systems Center

COLLINS AEROSPACE

3445 S. 5th Street, Suite 170, Phoenix, AZ 85040 U.S.A.

Tel: 602 308 5957  FAX: 602 243 2347

[log in to unmask]  www.collinsaerospace.com

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This message may contain proprietary and/or privileged information of

Collins Aerospace Systems and its affiliated companies. If you are not the intended recipient please 1) do not disclose, copy,

distribute or use this message or its contents, 2) advise the sender by return e-mail, and 3) delete all copies (including all

attachments) from your computer. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.