From:
[log in to unmask] (John E Nelson)
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 1996 08:22:05 PST
This problem is likelu a process control problem when  the board was
manufactured.  From your description, I suspect the boards had solder
applied first then the plugs.

If you LPI first with the pads open and  then HASL and then screen print
via plugs the HASL process must blow out all via holes, otherwise there
may be air trapped between the ink  plug and the solder plug.  When you
heat it up at wave solder the air expands and the solder blows out.

Problems can be worse if you plug the vias first and t hen HASL.   This
creates a dead-end hole with solder at the top and plug  ink at the
bottom
that often traps flux or in the worst case, pre-clean micro etch
chemistry.
This can blow out at wave solder as you describe or even worse cause
long term opens in  the plated holes.

Your designer can help by either making the vias large enough to blow out

more easily at HASL or by not requiring the vias to be plugged.  This may

require not using metal jacketed components over  the vias or using
stand-offs to prevent shorting..