TECHNET Archives

May 2007

Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 10:56:31 EDT
Believe it or not, there are people with ears that are that  sensitive. I
knew the couple that were involved in founding the Stereophile  magazine, Gordon
and Polly. Here are a couple examples:
1. Gordon had brought over a pair of speakers to try in our house with a  new
model amp and turntable. These were small speakers, you had to go to their
house to listen to the large $3,000 each speakers (mid-'60s pricing) he had  on
evaluation. Tuned in WFLN, the best Philadelphia classical music FM station
available. He grew unhappy with the piece they were playing, so called WFLN
and  complained to them about the 20 Hz rumble in the music. The engineer agreed
with  his ID of the rumble in the left turntable, noting they had sent it
back to the  maker three times to try to get it resolved. They didn't think
people would hear  that rumble over the air, however.
2. Tried some music at home on a professional turntable through the same
pre-amp/amp/speaker system. Polly listened to it for about 15 sec. and
complained this new model turntable just received for a technical review was  running
too slow. After some checking, we found it was running at 33 and not 33  1/3
rpm. Guess it helps if you are a trained pianist.

Bill  Kenyon
Global Centre Consulting
3336 Birmingham Drive
Fort Collins, CO  80526