From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 96 08:17:27 cst
     Hi Barry - I suggest having an in-depth discussion with your vendor
     before switching to a matte soldermask. Soldermask may or may not be
     the source of their problems. There is quite a bit of literature
     published describing how a matte soldermask is not a prone to
     solderball/splatter as a glossy soldermask. Yet, we use a glossy
     soldermask in nitrogen with a low residue flux and have no problems
     with solderball/splatter type defects. There are lots of other
     contributing variables (flux type/chemistry is ultra critical in many
     instances) that may be the root cause for their defects. Do a sanity
     check on their investigation and solution before you switch. Good
     luck.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins