From:
Poh Kong Hui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 1996 23:43:22 +0800 (SST)

Saul,
What we have done may not be suitable for you. Anyway, I will still tell you my
method.
I think of crazy idea sometimes..Please note this is not proper way of
handling the board, but it is a quick-fix for us. (May not work for your
board).
We place the board on top of the wave-solder preheater (we are using pallet
machine). Once the board has reached about 130 deg. cel, bring the board,
and place on 2 toothpicks. Then use 2 long bars, (weighs about 500 to 750
gram) and place near along the side of the board.

See detail below ...

  t - refers to small toothpick that place at the center of the board.
  xxxxxxx - refers to the bar that place along the side of the board. In
this way, it
                   presses the board sideway downwards.

             x                            x
         ----x--------------t-------------x----
         |   x                            x   |
         |   x                            x   |
         |   x                            x   |
         |   x                            x   |
         |   x                            x   |
         ----x--------------t-------------x----
             x                            x

Note: Be careful not to damage the components. In this process, it requires
very
careful way of handling...And try to place where there is no or little
component.

If you still don't understand what I talking or drawing, I could fax your a
drawing...

How to "minimise" it, is possible, you can start making pallet that your
board fix and sit well on it, and make sure you don't take out the board
after wave. Let it cool down, at least to room temperature before you take
it out from the pallet. By the way, the pallet should have a gripper as to
hold the board well during cooldown.

How to eliminate, talk to the board designer (may be you have a better
luck). So far, for us, there is no possibility to get rid of it. We are
getting all kinds of boards.

Anyway, good luck. ... In case you have an idea how to eliminate, please do
let me know.

Poh Kong Hui
Nera Electronics