From:
[log in to unmask] (Jerry Cupples)
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 14:08:28 -0500
Jesse F Beatty asked:

>We are in the process of installing a new memory module assembly line and are
>looking at ways to improve the flooring in the area.  We are currently using
>static-resistant tiling which goes for roughly $8 a tile.  This particular
>flooring has some advantages, but we believe that there is a better, and
>perhaps
>less expensive, alternative.
>
>Do any of you have experience with ESD flooring, either good or bad?  Can you
>suggest a particular type of flooring that we should consider or can you
>direct
>me to a source?

Several installations I've worked at used VPI Conductile. This is some type
of vinyl in one foot squares, and is used in hospital OR's. I think this is
what your refer to.

VPI tile looks good when new, but is not very durable, tends to discolor
and is difficult to clean. I would not recommend it in a high traffic area
with much potential for staining (like say, a board assembly area....).

Another place I worked had a floor installed by Stonhard (800-257-7593)
which is a continuous coating applied over concrete. This floor was a light
grey color, and is some type of polymer with granular additions, with an
underlying layer of higher conductivity.

The Stonhard floor was not inexpensive, but it looked good and performed
well. It was durable and easy to clean, and met the ESD test we specified.
It has the appearence of something you might see on a locker room floor,
and I believe it can be specified in colors.

This should not be taken as an indication that I go along with incredible
expense in meeting arbitrary ESD requirements - others made the decision.
Bare concrete will meet ESD test requirments in most cases. Conductive tile
at $8/per square or $72/yard (plus installation) is about the same cost as
the most luxurious pure wool pile carpet money can buy.

(It is very hard for me to avoid thumbing my nose at the static police;
call it a character flaw.)

cheers,

Jerry Cupples
Interphase Corporation