TECHNET Archives

April 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Holan)
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 08:42:17 -0500
     In general I would agree with Mr. Miller.  We switched to Mg hydroxide
     on all our batch treatment processes here.  It is MUCH more cost
     effective that sodium hydroxide simply due to its alkaline content
     pound-for-pound.  Magnesium hydroxide improves solids settling.  You
     do not have to worry about over shooting pH either which can happen
     very easily with sodium hydroxide if it is being added manually.

     We continue to use sodium hydroxide in our continuous waste water
     treatment system because of the ease of use issues mentioned below as
     well as kinetics.  Magnesium takes longer to react because it is in a
     solid slurry and as the dissolved OH is consumed additional particles
     of MgOH  must dissolve.  We had to purchase a special mixing drum pump
     tube from Lutz that allows us to mix the slurry before we pump it for
     use in a batch treatment procedure.

     Michael Holan
     Process Engineer
     Continental Circuits Corp. of Texas