Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 20:41:51 -0400 (EDT)
A few weeks back I inquired to the gold finish suppliers, the following
questions regarding solderability assessment and controls for Electroless gold.

1) What solderability test methods are recommended for these products?
2) Is the IPC in the process of capturing these requirements?
3) Is there an 'optimum' manufacturing/storage condition to minimize or
hopefully eliminate solderability concerns?
4) Is it implied that only ONE soldering process can be used with immersion
gold finishes thereby precluding the use of double sided SMD?
5) How accurate is the measurement of gold in the ranges typically quoted in
immersion gold thicknesses (ie 2-6 microinches)? Is this measured by weight
gain? XRF?

There was limited response and NONE from the suppliers of these processes. I
would be interested to hear if your "limited success" relates to
solderability???

Dave Rooke
Circo Craft - Pointe Claire