TECHNET Archives

April 2017

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2017 14:50:52 +0000
When I ran an R&D lab, I found you could make almost anything work in small quantities with patience and time. One "needy" BGA had to be re-worked which took us about 20 tries to get right, but we did come up with a process which worked repeatably using hot air:

-Don't use solder paste (all of that surface area forces more aggressive flux action/higher temperatures). Pre-flow any deposits (requires creativity to avoid trying to set a sphere on a sphere)

-Minimize flux

-Hand wrap as much of the part as possible with copper tape to force a uniform temperature

-Add a stick-on temperature trigger on top of the copper tape (trigger temperature at the max allowed temp of the part)

-Loosely cover the top of the part with another layer of copper tape, creating an oven over the temperature trigger

-Pre-heat until the circuit board is "close" to the reflow temperature ("close" depends on the board material/layup and the vertical temperature profile tolerance of the assembly)

-Design a top side heat profile which will hit the required specs

So maybe you don't need to spend a long time finding a VP partner if you only need small quantities.

As noted by other responders, while VP initially sounds like perfection, the science is that the heat is transferred to the part by condensation. So instead of perfectly bringing everything up to temperature at the same time, the system is providing varying amounts of thermal energy to each of the components and the board, depending on thermal mass and exposed surface area. On the other hand, air/inert convection heats stuff up by hurling excited gas molecules at the surface, with a maximum achievable temperature of the chamber temperature (which has to be significantly greater than a comparable VP system). But the gas system is similar to VP in the sense that the temperature profile of each part is determined by its surface area and thermal mass.

Anyway, using the VP with a higher than necessary condensation temperature starts to make the operation more closely resemble convection because the maximum temperature can be significantly above the optimal reflow temperature. But since each droplet carries a lot more energy than an air molecule, there is a larger opportunity for local overheating/temperature gradients.

Wayne Thayer