From:
"Edwards, Ted A (AZ75)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
25 Apr 1996 14:14:18 -0500

My experience is the "contamination with sulfur" usually comes from how you
stored the board, did you interleaf with sulfur free paper, what did you do
with the cardboard box, I believe upon investigation you will find part of
making paper products(check sulfite paper pulp for info.) gives them
inherent sulfur.  Manko in Solders and Soldering in the 1964 edition says" A
word about sulfur is in order.  This contaminant which has a detrimental
effect on wetting is reported to be dangerous at levels of 0.03%(in solder)"
 In addition most sulfite have low solubility and once gotten are hard to
get rid of.