TECHNET Archives

October 2005

From:
Ingemar Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ingemar Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:35:35 +0200
Joe,
Like many others, we have been experimenting with gold ball bonding on
nickel with a thin gold plate. With 6 sigma in mind, we were not
satisfied with the results. Reason seemed to be that there was a bad
match between the sof gold (HV~80) and the very surface of nickel
(HV~300). Tests on matte nickel performed well, but the board maker
could not plate matte nickel at that time. We tried doped gold wire with
various hardness, and got better results, but still not obtaining zero
bond failures we abandoned the project. Wedge gold wire bonding,
however, is different. We have made some products with this method on
0.05 um gold over nickel, and with good results.
Ingemar