From:
Michael Barmuta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 11:36:26 PST

   From: Michael Barmuta <[log in to unmask]>
  Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 11:43:34 PST
  Subject: Re: SOLDERMASK DETERIORATION
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Cc: [log in to unmask]
  	Ron: I do believe what you are seeing is a result of your cleaning
cycle.The question is,is this an unreasonable expectation of the mask? I
don't think so.

  From the information you provideed the other three PCB fabricators
apparently are not causing you a problem(I'm unsure if they are using Tayio
or another LPI).The fourth fabricator supplied "acceptable" boards for a 9
month time period after some process correction and now the problem is
back,same PCB supplier.I don't think the last batch of boards you received
were fully cured.
  If I were to quess as to what your seeing I would say it's this: The heat
cycles from your relow and flowsolder are starting to breakdown the resin
system of the mask.Then when you wash the board with hot(165F)alkaline
chemistry this further attacks the surface of the mask exposing the filler
(tycically silica or talc)which absorbs moisture during the wash/rinse/dry
  cycles.This then shows up as white spots.A quick way to check,is to use a
heatgun	applied to the area with white spots.If they go away or lessen you
 can be pretty sure it was  moisture.

  So how do you make it better?	First of all I'm assuming you have verified
that your cleaning process time/temp/conc.are all correct and nothing has
changed	in your soldering operation.You could backoff a little in the wash
 time and temp as stated earlier by other replys, which should help some but
I think the mask is the main culprit here.

  I don't think it's the type of mask,the Tayio PSR-4000 family has a long
proven track record.IMHO the mask is not fully crosslinking during the cure
cycle.Here's the problem,when suppliers market an LPI mask to the PCB
  fabricators they usually tell them a UV bump is not required and thermal
bake times can be done in 30-60 mins.Why;because time is the enemy of board
fabricators.The more process steps and longer process times equate to higher
board costs which can result in a non-competive board quote.So the fabricator
 is always looking for ways to reduce board processing and it's associated
costs,soldermask final cure however should not be one of them.When LPI
suppliers are pressed on what cure cycle provides the best physical/elec-
trical properties they typically call out a longer bake time 60-90 mins.AT
TEMP.(150c) and a UV bump(3-4joules).Find out what your fabricator is
actually doing for final cure. If your not getting something close to the
above cycle see if they can process the next run using it and verify it.
	 Also I'm not sure why YOU are doing a "cure bake" on your end.Is
 this a moisture bake out or is this to compensate for an insufficient cure
from the PCB supplier?  Good luck and no you are not alone with this problem.

					Regards
					Michael Barmuta
					Staff Engineer
					Fluke Corp.